- Agile player-coach, focused on continuously improving how
teams work - including processes, technical practices, and
- Software engineer with over 25 years of industry
- Experienced Ruby on Rails web developer with strong DevOps
- Mentored developers in Agile methodologies and Java
- Consistently active member of local developer
- Frequent speaker at conferences and local user groups.
Staff Software Engineer at DebtBook (2022 -
- Built web app to manage financial accounting for local
- Maintained and built functionality for management of
public debt, leases, and software subscriptions.
- Ensured compliance with government accounting standards
- Transformed engineering practices to meet the needs of a
startup growing from a small company to a mid-sized company.
- Focused on building maintainable, reliable, scalable,
and performant code.
- Improved processes, workflow, and automation.
- Promoted advanced technical practices among the engineering
- Provided code reviews, ensuring quality and providing
- Mentored junior developers.
- Led several large projects.
- Made architecture decisions.
- Grew team from 4 to 12 developers in 1 year.
- Interviewed and assessed candidates.
- Streamlined, documented, and automated onboarding
Tech Stack: Ruby, Rails, Sidekiq, React, Docker Compose,
Staff Software Engineer at True Link
- Built web app to manage financial services.
- Management of restrictions on pre-paid debit
- Investment tracking for pooled special-needs
- Promoted advanced technical practices among the development
- Presentation on how to improve testing.
- Resolved issues with receiving duplicate transaction
Tech Stack: Ruby, Rails, RSpec, AWS, React
Director of Developer Excellence at BoochTek,
LLC (2006 - present)
- Guided companies in establishing technical and process
- Embedded within development teams as Agile
- Consulting services, implementing and upgrading web sites.
- Reduced code size and complexity to simplify on-going
- Designed and implemented web applications for small
businesses and non-profits.
- Social networking hub, integrated with other social
- Management system to track tutoring sessions.
- Conversion of Access application for aggregating
Tech Stack: Ruby, Rails, RSpec, jQuery
Principal Software Engineer at Binary Noggin
(2019 - 2021)
- Built web back-end to manage electronic poll books and
- Guided development team to make improvements to processes
and technical practices.
- Agile practices: retrospectives, TDD, pair programming,
- Improved application performance, in preparation for
traffic spike due to presidential election.
- Added telemetry/metrics to track performance.
- Optimized MySQL queries and indexes.
- Employed background jobs and batching.
- Tuned Kubernetes settings for scaling pods to meet load
- Implemented load shedding.
- Upgraded application from Rails 4.2 to 6.0.
- Automated infrastructure build-out.
Tech Stack: Ruby, Rails, Sidekiq, RSpec, jQuery, Kubernetes,
Sr. Software Developer at Weedmaps (2019)
- Built web app for a retail marketplace in a fast-growing
- Management of retailers and products.
- Categorization and tagging of products.
- Implemented and consumed APIs within a complex
- Promoted Agile practices within team.
Tech Stack: Ruby, Rails, Grape, RSpec, Sidekiq, CoffeeScript,
Sr. Software Developer at F5 Networks (2017 -
- Developed web app for network services (load balancers,
proxies, DDoS prevention).
- Upgraded web app to Rails 5.0.
- Promoted Agile practices within team.
Tech Stack: Ruby, Rails, Ansible, Nginx, Sidekiq,
Engineering Manager, Software Engineer at
CenturyLink Cloud (2015 - 2017)
- Managed a team of 6, implementing WordPress as a cloud
- Boosted team productivity from 17 to 60 "points".
- Managed a team of 14, deploying Cloud Foundry
- Built a monitoring system for cloud servers.
- Promoted Agile practices within teams.
Tech Stack: Ruby, Sensu, Grape microservices, Docker, Ansible,
Nginx, Bash, Kubernetes, RabbitMQ
- Designed, implemented, and deployed large-scale web
- Social networking and data-gathering site for patients
with type 1 diabetes.
- Provisioned load-balanced servers for 200,000
- Asset management system for a large company (12 million
- Developed, maintained, and documented APIs for several
mobile client applications.
- Contributed to rewrite of a hospital system's patient
- Wrote application for patients to find doctors by
- Developed in 5 weeks, on time and on budget.
- Consulted at a large corporation (7000 employees) to teach
developers how to implement Agile practices.
- Implemented pair programming, Kanban, TDD, refactoring,
- Mentored them to improve their Java skills.
- Promoted Agile/Lean methodologies to increase team
- Instituted retrospectives, pair programming, Kanban,
TDD, BDD, acceptance testing, refactoring, CI.
- Built an internal cloud infrastructure, automating
deployment of Java applications.
Tech skills: Ruby, Rails, Python, Bash shell, Java, HTML,
HAML, CSS, SASS, F5 load balancers, Capybara, Cucumber, Jasmine,
Cucumber-JVM, Selenium, Jenkins, JUnit, MongoDB, ElasticSearch,
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (Terre Haute, IN) -
Computer Science major
- STL Tech Slack - Co-admin
- STL Ruby - Co-organizer
- STL Polyglots - Co-founder
- This Agile Life podcast - Co-host (2013-2019)
- Roy Clay Sr. Tech Impact program - Instructor, Mentor
- RubyConf - 2014, 2015, 2016, 2023
- RailsConf - 2015, 2018, 2019
- Agile Alliance Technical Conference - 2017
- Madison+ Ruby - 2015